9/22/2009

Fun with Congressional hypocrisy

In response to this article...

Democrats Target Bank Overdraft Charges
Bailed-Out Firms Lean More Heavily on Fees
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/20/AR2009092002879.html

I sent the following letter to the editor...

Dear Editor:

I find it quite humorous that Democrats in Congress are acting like Prince Valiant charging in to save a princess when it comes to their introduction of legislation pointed out in the 9/21 article "Democrats Target Bank Overdraft Charges." This is coming from Congress, which was involved in "rubbergate" in the early 90s. That was the House Banking Scandal netted a bunch of congressmen from both parties, the top 20 being Democrats. Fast forward to 2009, and we have Congress that could not manage their own overdraft problems telling banks what to do.

The nice thing about the free market is that if I do not like the services of one bank, I can do my business with a different bank. Also, it helps that consumers read the fine print of the contract when they open an account with their bank. Honestly, it just takes simple school learned math skills, and looking into getting overdraft protection from your bank. We do not need Congress legislating a smack down on banks, I think of rubbergate and grin at the irony.


*Not that I have any love for banks who were bailed out, but the ludicrousness exhibited by liberals in Congress crack me up.